- Screenplays/Teleplays must not have been optioned or sold prior to October 25, 2014.
- Screenplays/Teleplays must be the original work of the applicants. If based upon another’s life story, applicant(s) must attach a statement attesting to their rights to make such adaptations. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights.
- Screenplays/Teleplays that have previously reached the Semifinalist level and beyond are not eligible for resubmission.
- If a submission involves two or more writers as applicants, the award will be divided equally among them.
- Applicants may submit more than one screenplay/teleplay in any chosen category. Each entry requires an application, payment and script (excluding the Enderby Entertainment Award and Sci-Fi Award – no additional script will be required for those).
- Once an entry payment has been processed we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed, the account holder may be subject to any fees
- No revisions or missing pages will be accepted once entry has been received
- Awards are based on overall merit of the entries. Judges reserve the right not to grant an award.
- We strongly suggest that applicants register or copyright their screenplays/teleplays with the Writers Guild of America, East (www.wgaeast.org/script_registration) or Writers Guild of America, West (www.wga.org/registration/index.html).
SCREENPLAY AWARD RULES
- The Screenplay Competition is only open to writers who do not earn a living writing for film or television.
- Screenplay submissions must be accompanied by a $40 (screenplay – regular deadline) or $50 (screenplay – late deadline) submission fee PER ENTRY and a completed entry form including authors’ original signatures. Please do not send a photocopy of your signature. Make checks or money orders payable to “Austin Film Festival.” Only US money orders will be accepted. Online submissions will require an additional $5 processing fee per entry.
- If you are entering your script into both Comedy and Drama categories please include two copies of your script along with two entry fees and two completed entry forms.
SPONSORED AWARD RULES
- All General Rules and Screenplay Award Rules listed above apply.
- Screenplays must be entered in either Drama or Comedy categories for consideration.
- Must indicate submission on entry form.
- A $20 submission fee must be included PER ENTRY.
TELEPLAY AWARD RULES
- All General Rules listed above apply
- The Teleplay Competition is open to ALL writers at all levels.
- The Teleplay Competition welcomes spec scripts for any currently airing network or cable program AND original pilot scripts. Spec scripts for programs canceled prior to the current television season will be disqualified and no refund will be provided.
- No bibles, treatments, or reality show formats will be accepted for the teleplay competition.
- Teleplay submissions must be accompanied by a $30 (teleplay - regular deadline) or $40 (teleplay – late deadline) PER ENTRY and a completed entry form including authors’; original signatures. Please do not send a photocopy of your signature. Make checks or money orders payable to “Austin Film Festival.” Online submissions will require an additional $5 processing fee per entry.
- Screenplays/Teleplays should be formatted according to current industry standards.
- To follow standard guidelines for format, consult any popular screenwriting or teleplay writing text for assistance.
- Font size must be 12 point and in Courier type.
- Screenplays must be narrative feature length (approximately 90-120 pages).
- Teleplays should be the appropriate length depending on the format (approximately 22-40 pages for sitcoms and 45-70 pages for one-hour shows)
- Pages must be numbered in the top right hand corner.
- Pages should be two or three hole punched, bound between cardstock covers and fastened by two or three metal brads
- Pages may be double-sided
- Only the TITLE of the screenplay should appear on the front stock cover (legibly written or typed).
- A second title page with all contact information (TITLE, AUTHOR, AUTHOR’S ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, E-MAIL ADDRESS, and a BRIEF SYNOPSIS) should be included but kept separate from the script. The author’s name must not appear elsewhere in the script in order to preserve anonymity in judging process.
- Payments made with a check are subject to our Bounced Check Policy:
If we receive a returned check from our bank for a payment you made, you will be invoiced for the original amount of the check plus a $25 bank fee. The payment of the invoiced amount will be due within 30 days of invoice date. We will not re-submit the original check, nor will we accept another check for the re-payment.
- Scripts must be in PDF format under 5MB
- Only the TITLE of the screenplay should appear on the front cover page
- A second title page with contact information is not required for online submissions
- The author’s name must not appear anywhere in the script in order to preserve anonymity in the judging process.
RETURNS AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- Screenplays/Teleplays will not be returned under any circumstances.
- Please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for each submission if you wish acknowledgement of the receipt of your screenplay/teleplay (Mailed-in entries only). Online submissions will receive a confirmation e-mail
- Notification letters will be sent by postal mail by early September. Semifinalists will be contacted by phone around this time.
- Feedback will only be provided to writers who advance to the Second Round of judging or higher.
For more information, please contact Matt Dy, Screenplay Competition Director, at email@example.com or call the AFF Office at 512-478-4795